Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken


Welcome to my first post....  enjoy and hopefully many more to come!

My husband has been suggesting that I try making an Asian dish for a while now however seeing that I am not a huge fan I kept putting it off. One night while trying to decide on what to make for dinner I came across this recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken from My Kitchen Cafe and figured I would give it a try.

I'm so glad I did. My husband absolutely loved it and I thought it was pretty good for a person who doesn't like Asian foods. The best part of this recipe is how simple it was to make and didn't require any special ingredients or even a trip to the grocery store.

I made the following changes to the recipe... I used flour instead of cornstarch and I didn't use any eggs and  it came out perfectly browned. I also doubled the sauce and poured all of it into the baking dish so that it reached the top level of the chicken. I topped it off with a side of steamed veggies and white rice.

I would definately make this again in the future and suggest that you guys give it a try as well.


Ingredients:
Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt



Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F
2. Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg.
5. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through.
6. Place in a single layer in a baking dish.
7. Mix sauce ingredients together and pour over chicken
8. Bake for one hour turning chicken every 15 minutes.
9. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stove top. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced – about 6-8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment